Sunday, May 16, 2010

28 Feb – still not driving. It is getting so tiring to have Joe have to carry me everywhere. He does not mind, but I want my driving privileges back. Besides I need to get on this house hunting – if I can find something and get a contract before the end of April – I am eligible for one of the tax breaks – and at 65 and retired, that would be nice. I am getting stronger everyday and am going to try to drive by this coming weekend.

4 March – FINALLY! I have wheels! Today Joe had an emergency at home, so I got to drive for the first time.

11 March – Went to the bank to get started on the pre-approval on the housing loan. The loan officer was not in, but his secretary told me how to get everything started online. The process did not go exceptionally well due to a glitch in the operator – that would be me – and I had to call for help, but finally I had an application started. I have an appointment with Michael, the loan officer, on Tuesday at the bank. It is amazing to think about the differences in this home buying process and my first one. There certainly was no internet to start the paperwork process.

16 March – Went in to see the loan officer, Michael. The only glitch in the whole process was his sort of gasp when Joe walked up. He was riding his Harley so he was all decked out in leathers and his “headgear” and with his beard – he does look a bit tough – all 6’6” of him. When he walked up behind me and touched my shoulder, – and I looked up and said “Oh, hi.” Michael said “Whew, I was hoping he was someone you knew.” Gave me my laugh for the day. And we old folks think we had pre-conceived notions!

Michael asked me why I was nervous. I told him I was tense about getting the loan. He said, “Oh you have the loan approval. We are just deciding how much you need now.” WOW! I can remember loan approvals, even on the last house I bought ten years ago in Texas, taking days and in the distant past, even weeks. And I had approval before I even got to the bank, just from the internet.

Michael put me in touch with a realtor and also set me up with an internet housing guide that gives me photos and descriptions of houses that meet my personal guidelines – price range, area I want to live in, nothing in the foreclosure or short sale process (those take months and months and I need to be out of my apartment before my lease is up on May 31), 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, garage and fenced or better yet walled backyard – the fur kids need a play area. There were dozens, and while I waited to get a realtor, I started looking. Michael did give me information on a realtor he knew and she was going to get in touch with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment